Thomson CI site and building have been acquired by French school board

A local newspaper reports that Thomson Collegiate has been acquired by the French school board for use as a regional high school. Great news! Apparently the school building will live on, probably in a fully renovated and updated state.

See this brief news article from the Scarborough Mirror, published November 27 2013:

Scarborough Mirror November 2013

8 comments ↓

#1 Dylan on 12.03.13 at 4:20 pm

I’m a little confused: does this mean the Bendale-Thomson merged school that is expected to open in the Autumn of 2015 will be a French high school?

I thought it was going to be a public school.

#2 Site Webmaster on 12.16.13 at 1:30 pm

NO — It means the proposed new school (merged Bendale-Thomson public school) will exist separately from a possible French board of education school that is being proposed to take over the old Thomson property.

#3 Dylan on 12.18.13 at 11:11 am

Thanks for the answer, Site Webmaster!

#4 Jeff Thomson on 01.18.14 at 11:40 pm

Greetings! I am a descendent of David and Mary Thomson and was wondering where I could get more information on their story.

#5 Site Webmaster on 03.05.14 at 12:46 pm

Try Google. Or here: http://www.thomsonforever.ca/history/

#6 Kesha on 04.14.14 at 1:45 pm

Hi – I am equally confused…I did not see any info on possibly 2 schools. All info is pointing to Bendale and Thompson merge and own by the French school board.

It is my understanding that the “NEW” school will also house JK-grade 12.

#7 Site Webmaster on 04.14.14 at 8:53 pm

The present Thomson building will be purchased by the French board. The new Thomson CI, yet to be built, will be grades 9 to 12 and include some programming from Bendale.

#8 Jelo G. Cantos on 04.16.14 at 10:18 pm

Hi there, two things:

1. As the French board has yet to take over the old Thomson CI property, there was a discussion in early 2013 that the TCDSB might take over the facility in the future. One of its schools, Jean Vanier C.S.S. operating out of the former Tabor Park V.S. building, had reached its peak of 1000-1100 and wanted additional space.
2. Like Duke of Connaught Junior and Senior Public School, which is protected, I think the race track and building would considered be “sacred” because the 15 acre school has ties to the park since the Thomson family donated the land. It should be designated as a heritage site because it has a family value to it and historic.